Picture
If you couldn't tell by some of my previous posts, I tend to be a bit of a futurist.  One of the things I'm particularly excited for is the self-driving car, a reality that seems to be inching closer every day.  Check out Google's video of their car here.  Over the weekend,  I got to thinking about how the development of these vehicles might impact our industry.  The writing is on the wall, and it doesn't appear to be in our favor in the long run.

For background, personal injuries come in all shapes and sizes, from slip-and-falls to dog bites to car crashes. I don't have hard stats to back up my argument, but I'd bet the house that motor vehicle collisions account for a significant share of many law firms' revenues, doubly so for personal injury firms.  In short, losing motor vehicle injury cases would be bad for lawyers and the legal industry.  I'm obviously not the first person to prognosticate on this scenario and you can find other good takes here, here, here, here, and here.  Most of these posts feature the obvious—albeit necessary—questions:  How accurate/good will the self-driving car be? Will it make mistakes? How do you question the "driver" if there's an accident? How much human control will be involved?  How can we legislate this?

Here are my thoughts:

First, there will initially be a veritable bonanza of personal injury claims related to self-driving cars. In the beginning, human-driven cars will intermingle with the machine-driven vehicles and it will not be pretty. Humans are unpredictable and—at least in Connecticut—the experience of driving requires much more than just binary sensory detection: it takes instinct. You give more room to the rusty Cabriolet without brake lights that's spewing black smoke. You don't drive on New Year's Eve or in Vegas if you can avoid it. Ever see a Roombah battle a dog? Yea, there are collisions galore. Not to say that these collisions will necessarily be the fault of the machine-driven cars, and these other factors are something the creators seem aware of. However, an injured flesh-and-blood human is going to garner a lot more sympathy from a human jury than a cold, novel, lifeless machine ever will.  We'd all better brush up on our code, just in case.

Second, suing for injuries when a machine-driven car is involved will be a lot more painful. Initially, you'll be suing owner of the self-driving car just like you would today. However, the crashes caused by self-driving cars are really more like products liability cases, which means you'll end up suing the software company (i.e., Google) or the manufacturer (i.e., Toyota). With deep pockets, an army of corporate lawyers, and zero incentive to admit that their products are defective in any way, it has all the makings of a legal bloodbath. You'd better just hope your search history doesn't get leaked!

Picture
Third, this landscape will change with time. The 1000-megapixel-camera equipped machine-driven vehicles will have overwhelming proof of competence to push the worst drivers off the road. The machine-driven vehicles' convenience and utility is undeniable. They have Google, Apple, and the car companies in their corner. Eventually, we'll get to the place where machine-driven cars are the norm and not the exception.  That day, my friends, is when the personal injury bar will really be in trouble.

However, don't start tap-dancing on our graves just yet.  Personal injury lawyers will adapt just as they always have.  People will continue acting negligently/recklessly, probably even more so given all the idle time they'll have whilst not driving.  Personally, I plan to specialize in light saber and hover-board injuries.  So, see us in 2065 and let us get the genetically-selected-prior-to-birth-to-be-ruggedly-handsome-and-yet-refined-Grey-Hair (trademark pending).

Comments

12/09/2015 1:25pm

I'm still excited about the self driving car like whoa when is that officially being launched??

07/17/2016 10:52pm

This is a really interesting post. Thanks for sharing it! I do agree that accidents caused through self-driving cars are going to be complicated. People would end up suing the software companies and manufacturers. Ethics and morality would be involved as well as people start letting go of their responsibility and depend highly on the machines. They would definitely continue their acts of negligence and recklessness.

12/18/2015 3:03pm

It is the desire of everybody to have a good post in life. For this purpose, many people like to work hard in their respective field and one day they get success.

In the event some sort of groundhog out by using his exercise decrease in addition to will not likely see their particular

night considering the particular local weather can be dark, indicates winter weather can easily in a short time end.

Via negatives, in the event that groundhog vistas their particular night considering the particular local

weather can be vibrant in addition to clear, are going to be anxious in addition to carry refuge on their particular distance.

You can get the best business minds in the industry by hiring our really talented business plan writers who are able to come up with excellent business ideas.

02/13/2016 6:18am

Check response time: In case of emergency, you would want to choose an emergency locksmith Pomona that can offer the services to you in least possible time.

03/31/2016 7:12am

I divine I want help knowing best assignment help. We attempted eventual a few of the hyperlinks a soul discussed in censure to customized piece of art providers nevertheless each such of these We diamond in the rough obtained me by work of mouth much greater baffled. Would you derive sure you divide this particular ebb personally?

05/06/2016 2:46am

Fishbowl Frenzy is the game for Youngers as well as for elders, it is an excited and fun game and you can also earn from this game by competing it with the others, I am gonna play whit on the weekend with my school friends.

06/06/2016 7:58am

YouTube contains not only comic and humorous video tutorials but also it carries learning related videos.

07/19/2016 1:53am

wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated.

07/22/2016 6:03am

I am very interested in all the information written on this page, for that I can only say thank you to all those I've read on this page.

08/06/2016 4:26am

I did so appreciate reading through content articles submitted on this website. They're amazing and it has lots of helpful info.

08/16/2016 1:05am

My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more!

What's up buddy, what a quality is! For this YouTube video, I am in truth pleassant, in light of the way that I have never seen beautiful quality YouTube video,

09/15/2016 12:13pm

The car industry is full of cheap replica!

10/03/2016 3:22pm

MySehat.pk aims to provide a quick and easy way for users to search, review and rate medical providers. Accurate and credible information helps them make the right choice for their medical needs.

10/12/2016 5:11am

Thanks.

Find Diabetologists practicing in Sindh, Karachi. Read Ratings and Reviews to help find the best doctor.

A number of us know all relating to the compelling medium you present powerful steps on this blog and therefore strongly encourage contribution from other ones on this subject while our own child is truly discovering a great deal. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year.

There are lot's of machines, which recently invented it's good for those businessman's who are running industries, and it's called latest technology, which is today's trend.

01/06/2017 5:24pm

Good to know this article today. I can get so many new things from here. Thanks.

01/17/2017 4:25am

It was really nice to read article written on this blog. I would also like to add few techniques with best of my knowledge which can help reader more and more.

02/03/2017 7:07am

Yeah, that's true every years, all car companies launching latest car models, each years, they have made few changes in it, well, it's great achievement from all car making companies.

Are you looking for the best sewing machine to choose for your home? Are you concerned that the price may not be affordable for you? Don't be, there are many models available for all kinds of wallets.

05/09/2017 3:21am

You did a great job guys! Setting up that large creator is hard to do. I'm an electronic devices professional and I really admire you for your effort. For sure, your customer must be satisfied and pleased in your perform and I'm sure they will believe in solutions from now on. I will recommend my systems.